Newcastle are set to reignite their interest in Sporting Lisbon midfielder Matheus Nunes this summer, according to reports.

The Magpies were keen on the now 23-year-old last season, before the club was taken over by the Saudi-backed Public Investment Fund.


READ MORE: What can ordinary Chelsea and Newcastle fans actually *do*?


As per Sport Witness, Record claim Newcastle ‘were interested’ back then, while O Jogo report they made ‘a loan proposal with an option to buy of 12 million euros’.

Nunes’ value has increased significantly since then, in line with Newcastle’s spending power.

O Jogo now claim Sporting won’t allow the midfielder – who has three goals and five assists this season – to leave the club for anything less than €40m.

Newcastle aren’t the only side interested in Nunes, with a number of other Premier League clubs also thought to be in the running.

And Sporting manager Ruben Amorim is aware of a transfer battle for the player as a ‘door could open next summer’ for a transfer.

Amorim said in his press conference on Sunday: “That’s like the other players, it’s a part of Hugo Viana and the president. I know there have already been proposals, even in January, it’s part of our daily life, it’s a good sign.

“Obviously, the Champions League showcase has greatly increased the greed of players. I’m going to play my role, which is to have a better team, bringing young players to join the team, that’s my role, Viana’s and the president’s role is to deal with these situations. So I have no idea of the situation of Matheus or any other player.”

Meanwhile, Eddie Howe has refused to be drawn on questions surrounding the ownership of Newcastle.

The spotlight is on Newcastle following the sanctions imposed on Roman Abramovich, which have left Chelsea on the brink of ruin.

As fate would have it, Newcastle took on Chelsea on Sunday, and in the wake of his side’s 1-0 defeat, Howe said: “I’m just going to answer questions on the game and on football. It’s only right that I stick to football.”

The post Newcastle reignite interest in €40m Sporting star as ‘door opens’ appeared first on Football365.

Newsletter